Recently our goldendoodle Moe came down with several “hot-spots” and another ear infection and this time, it was suuuper bad. He might have a big bark and weigh a whopping 70 lbs but he is quite the delicate flower, especially when it comes to skin and ear issues. It’s pretty common for floppy-eared dogs to experience regular ear infections because their ears don’t get much air and Moe has always struggled with food allergies. Our vet said they were relatively common and for several years now, Moe has been on a strict salmon & sweet potato diet… he eats better than we do most of the time!
We had attempted to try a new type of dog treat and I’m pretty sure that’s what caused the issues with his ears and skin. I started doing some digging for new treats and the thought dawned on me to just make them myself! I have cookie cutters, sweet potatoes and tons of different types of flour… it can’t be that complicated! I spoke with a fellow dog-lover, Khala over at The Birdie Bowl and she had just posted a dog treat recipe. How timely!
I made the treats into little acorns in honor of the fall season and Moe totally loves them! I have a feeling I’ll be making these a lot.
- 1 Sweet Potato, baked and peeled
- 1 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Preheat oven to 325*
- Mix all ingredients together until a sturdy dough forms
- Flour your surface and roll the dough out to 1/4-1/2 inch
- Cut dough into shapes or use cup to cut circles
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Let cool!
- Refrigerate in an air tight container
- The dough should be sturdy enough to roll out - you may need to add a tsp of water if it's too dry or more flour if it is too wet.
- Tapioca flour is incredibly messy so be careful! I'm still cleaning this up!
Hope you and your fur-babies love these!